Driving Directions from
San Jose to Nosara
From the San Jose International Airport:
•Take Pan American Highway North which goes by the airport.
(*there is a brand new toll highway you can get from the airport via Santa Ana and if you are in downtown San Jose or Escazu, the pick up is right in Escazu- we do NOT recommend trying to find this highway if you do not KNOW San Jose at all. New highway is about 1 hour faster but if you take 1 hour or more to find it, it's a wash!)**
•The initial signs will indicate the way to San Ramon- that is correct! •Stay on the Pan American Highway, aka Route 1.
- If you are on the new toll highway, you would take it until it ends, whereupon you enter onto Route 1 in Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera and you are about 2.5 hours away at this point)
•This goes all the way to Peñas Blancas, the border town to Nicaragua (you will go about 2/3rds of the way to that border!). •Do not turn off this road for appx. 3 to 3 1/2 hours until you cross the
Rio Abandgaras Bridge & see signs directing you to the new bridge "Puente de Amistad"
•There will be a modern Shell Gas Station on the left. •Continue on this main road until it ends at an intersection with another main road, •Turn right onto this new main road, towards the town of Nicoya. •Turn left at the Junction to Nicoya (adjacent to a hillside quarry). •This next portion of the drive will take approximately 30 minutes. •Drive straight through the town of Nicoya. The two stations as you enter Nicoya are the last time •you will be able to use your credit card for fuel. •This will put you on the main road to Samara and Nosara. •Continue on this road until you come to a Samara Gas Station on the left side of the road. •It's a good idea to top-off your tanks here if you have not already done so, although they do not take credit cards, only cash, dollars or colones. •This next portion of the drive will be 35-55 minutes more depending upon road conditions. •Immediately after the Gas Station you will make a right turn onto an unpaved road, (paved only 5 meters and then pavement ends) •remain on this road until the road comes to an intersection and follow the signs to the right to Garza and Nosara. •8 Minutes +/- on is the town of Esparanza where you will find a
small grocery store on your right, across the street from
a developement called "Villas Esparanza"
•This is a good place to buy groceries before you get to one of our Vacation Rentals if you aren’t staying at a hotel.
• (Have someone stay with the car and your valuables, do not leave valuables in a car unattended)
•Less than five minutes on and you will be in the Playas de Nosara beach area. Coconut Harry's will be on your right.
- Café de Paris on the left corner, TAKE THIS LEFT HERE!
• Follow the Nosara Travel & Alamo signs, we will be on the right, past Bagelman's and just a few doors down from the Guiones Medical Clinic. Our office is next to Attorney Andres Gonzales.
• Unless you have pre-arranged to meet somewhere else or are not renting a vehicle or house from us- meet us at our office:“Nosara Travel & Rentals”.
• If you are running late, please call or have the driver call us at 2682-0300 / 8814-6046 to let us know or, you can do so at a payphone from San Jose or Nicoya. Please!!
**There is only inconsistent cell phone coverage after Nicoya until about Garza.